Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Caught in the act of not being awesome!


This is an awesome short, fast-paced album by Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains. This is the now dead project of Pat The Bunny and some friends. It's also the most produced album you'll find of theirs, the rest being recordings of live shows and/or on tape. Although, there is a rare little collection of songs that use a drum machine. Try to find that.

Pat The Bunny sings songs of politically charged drug madness. Underneath that though, his lyrics are elegantly simple and touching. For me, it kind of knocked me off my feet for it's brutal honesty.

Who needs love? Not me! Who needs friends? Not me! Who needs drugs? ME! Who needs sex? I've got me!

In late 2007, this was posted on the band's myspace: "JOHNNY HOBO IS DEAD! I can't sing these songs any more because they are not true any more. I am not straight edge, just sick of misery. Here are new songs I wrote". And then a link to Wingnut Dishwasher's Union (not as good). Pat the Bunny entered a rehab center this past December. He doesn't know if he'll continue to play music after he's done; but it's safe to say you won't hear any Johnny Hobo songs at any shows.
Johnny Hobo has been called many things- the simplest being punk and the more original ones being riot folk and drunk punk. Call it what you like, but listen to this!



No comments: